- District Health Update
- 2nd Interim Financial Report
- Resolution to Reduce Certificated Services in 2020-2021: 3 Elementary teachers, 1 HS Counselor
- Certificated Personnel Status Report: 4 resignations; 1 retirement
- Classified Personnel Status Report: 2 resignations
Click here for Link to Full Agenda and Attachments
Reduction of Certificated Services in 2020-2021
2019-2020 Second Interim Financial Report
Job Description: Publicity & Social Media Internship
Certificated PSR No.13
Classified PSR No. 13
Essential Training Report No. 13
1. OPENING PROCEDURE
A. CALL TO ORDER at 6:00 PM.
B. ESTABLISHMENT OF QUORUM
Quorum established. All members present.
2. REQUESTS TO ADDRESS THE GOVERNING BOARD Anyone wishing to address the Board regarding Closed Session items may do so at this time. All proceedings are reported to the public in open session where action is taken or staff is given direction.
3. APPOINTMENT OF LABOR NEGOTIATOR(S) (Government Code section 54957.6) It is recommended that the Governing Board take action to appoint a labor negotiator to represent the Board in discussing salary and benefits with candidates for unrepresented employee position. The Board will consider and possibly take action to appoint one or more labor negotiator(s) to represent the Board in discussing salary and benefits with candidates for unrepresented employee position: Superintendent the Board will identify in open session any representatives designated.
Dr. Scott: We may have 1-3 representatives.
Dr. Scott and Ms.Shellhart were nominated and unanimously voted by the Board to serve as the labor negotiators for the Superintendent negotiations.
4. RECESS TO CLOSED SESSION at 6:04 PM.
A. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR(S) (Pursuant to Government Code §54957.6)
Employee Organization(s): Unrepresented as follows: Superintendent Agency Designated Representative: Governing Board Representative as Determined by Action Item 3
B. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE DISCIPLINE/DISMISSAL/RELEASE/COMPLAINTS (Pursuant to Government Code §54957)
Discussion and possible action on Acting Superintendent or designee’s recommendation that Notice of Expiration of Temporary Employment be given to one or more temporary certificated employees. (Ed. Code § 44954.)
Discussion and possible action on Acting Superintendent or designee’s recommendation that notice of non-reelection be given to one or more provisionally or emergency credentialed probationary certificated employees. (Ed. Code § 44929.21.)
C. PUBLIC EMPLOYMENT/APPOINTMENT (Pursuant to Government Code §54957 (b).) Superintendent
5. RECONVENE TO OPEN SESSION at 7:05 PM
A. ANNOUNCEMENT OF ACTION TAKEN IN CLOSED SESSION
5-0 to direct that the Acting Superintendent give notice of non-renewal of one or more temporary teachers.
B. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
C. APPROVAL OF AGENDA It is recommended that the Governing Board approve the March 10, 2020 Governing Board meeting agenda.
Table Action Item C1
Move Action11 b1 up.
D. REQUESTS TO ADDRESS THE GOVERNING BOARD
Dena Dragoo, SGTA President: Thanked district for work, preparation, and response to the coronavirus. Thanked Ross Perry for attempt to save as many positions as possible in this time of declining enrollment. Noted Chris Guyer's work at creatively saving positions at JMS.
Terry Tang: FBLA President. Received Golden Seal, top 15% nationally for community service and placement in state and national competitions.
6. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES
A. Approve the Governing Meeting Minutes of February 25, 2020 The Board is asked to approve the meeting minutes as presented.
B. Approve the Special Governing Meeting Minutes of March 3, 2020 the Board is asked to approve the meeting minutes as presented.
7. PUBLIC HEARING(S) The meeting will brief recess to open up the public hearing(s). The meeting will resume at the closing of the presented public hearings.
8. SPECIAL REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. REPORTS – Student Board Members
Del Mar High School, Cecilia Venegas: Updates for Del Mar HS; History Day competition and field trips. JMS band, orchestra and choral concerts. McKinley World Finest Chocolate event earned $23,000 for field trips. Wilson: Read Across America; congratulations to 5th grade last year for highest science scores in the district.
Gabrielino High School, Jocelyn Tan. GHS: Sadie's dance. State Regional Championship. Speech & Debate students qualifiy for state and national awards. JMS: 9th grade transition meeting for parents. Open House. Coolidge: International Indiginous Week, Science Camp, Spelling Bee, Instrumental Recital. Roosevelt: Read Across America Event; PBS documentary to be filmed about the Roosevelt MIE program. Washington: Me and My Guy Dance; ELAC meeting; SBAC Family Night, Trimester 2 Awards.
FBLA attendance at competition approved by the Board unanimously.
B. REPORT - Governing Board President, Dr. Scott
Busy couple of weeks. Thanked members for their work. Thanked Ross Perry for his work with the Superintendent search. More kudos to the MIE program for continued recognition.
C. REPORT - Acting Superintendent, Mr. Symonds
Congratulations to GHS Girls Soccer team CIF championship. Read to TK students at Roosevelt. Jacob Haas recognition for Eagle Scout Award.Thanked Dena Dragoo for her comment on the corona virus committee and for her work on the committee. Thanked Ed Services team, admin and teachers who worked to establish an online platform to deliver curriculum should we face school closures. Sending regularly updates to staff, students, and families.
D. REPORT - District Health Update, by Lon Sellers and Kathy Leon
Dr. Scott: The Board has asked for regular updates.
Mr. Sellars: Daily review, daily update of the district website, provides Dept of Health website for minute by minute updates. Food Services is working on a district plan for Free and Reduced lunches. Corona virus committee developing a Pandemic Plan. Eric Chau is developing technology plan to support families without access. Custodial staff is developing a cleaning plan.As a school district, we are not screeners; that is left to the health department. Plan for postponement of school events. Health Dept: 17 cases in LA County- threat level is still considered low.
Mr. Ammon: Mr. Symonds was on it right away. We are right on it and proactive. Commented on the Monrovia experience with press questioning students. Mr. Sellars spoke of press restrictions on campus to protect our students
E. RECOGNITION - Cheryl A. Shellhart, Golden Apple Award Recipient 2020
Mr. Symonds congratulated Ms. Shellhart on her award and dedication to students with special needs. Also thanked her for her service and leadership in her time as President of our school board and the example she set.
F. PRESENTATION - Second Interim 2019-2020, Mr. Wong
Cabinet visited each site to discuss the financial state of the district and reserves. Spoke of increasing STRS and PRS costs.Must continue to be prudent with our spending and continue to be fiscally responsible.
Ms. Haas: Thank you for your presentation and offering it in a manner that is easy to understand.
9. ACTION ITEMS
A. BUSINESS SERVICES
1. Approve 2019-2020 Second Interim Report Administration recommends the approval of the 2019-2020 Second Interim Report and the subsequent two years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022. Based on the assumption available for the District at the time of the Second Interim reporting period, it is appropriate for the District to certify the quailed status due to the financial uncertainties for the out years in the multi-year projections.
2. Approve to Authorize Award of E-Rate Project 2020-2021 Administration recommends the approval to Authorize Award of E-Rate Project 2020-2021. Eight school sites will receive updated network equipment and services under the upcoming e-rate funding application. Upon board approval, a contract will be awarded to AAA Network Solutions in the amount of $131,427.20 and Federal Technology Solutions Inc. in the amount of $16,142.20.
B. EDUCATIONAL SERVICES
C. GOVERNING BOARD OF EDUCATION
1. Approve Public Employee Appointment and Approval of Employment Contract - Superintendent It is recommended that the Governing Board approve the public employee appointment and approve employment contract for Superintendent.
2. Adopt Resolution No. 11/2019-20, to Order Biennial Governing Board Election, November 3, 2020 It is recommended that the Governing Board adopt resolution No. 11/2019-20, to order biennial Governing Board election on November 3, 2020. Resolution No. 11/2019-20 will allow the Governing Board of San Gabriel Unified School District to be included in the Los Angeles County of Education (LACOE) order of elections and meet the deadline of May 15, 2020 to be in compliance with Education and Election Codes.
D. HUMAN RESOURCES
1. (ROLL CALL)
Adopt Resolution No. 12/2019-2020, Reduction or Discontinuance of Particular Kinds of Certificated Services for the 2020-2021 School Year Adopt Resolution No. 12/2019-2020, of the Governing Board of the San Gabriel Unified School District to Reduce or Eliminate Certain Certificated Services for the 2020-2021 school year. Attached. Reduction of three elementary positions and one HS counselor position.
Adoption of resolution approved unanimously.
2. Approve Job description for Publicity and Social Media Internship Administration recommends the approval of the job description for Publicity and Social Media Internship SGUSD will create multiple student internships for Publicity and Social Media with the goal of consistently publicizing district news and events across multiple online platforms and providing relevant work experience to the participating interns. The job description for these positions have been modeled after professional positions that currently exist in the job market. Student interns will be selected through recommendation and interview process. Additional opportunities for students will include resume level experience, trainings, and possible CTE pathway credit. Job description attached.
Mr. Ammon: Asked for more information.
Dr. Perez: Dr. Perez and and Samantha Theisen tapped into high school students to train social media interns.
Dr. Scott: This is exciting.
E. SUPERINTENDENT'S OFFICE
1. Governing Board Adoption of California School Boards Association (CSBA) Policy Revision Recommendations Administration recommends the Governing Board adopt the California School Boards Association (CSBA) policy revision recommendations. This is an opportunity for the Governing Board to adopt the California School Boards Association (CSBA) policy revision recommendations.
10. BOARD ANNOUNCEMENTS/REPORTS/COMMUNICATIONS
Ms. Haas:Read Across America at Washington and Roosevelt. Daughter qualified for State Speech and Debate competition. Son honored for Eagle award at JMS.
Mr. Ammon: Girls Soccer Championship was so impressive.Congratulated Ms. Haas on the accomplishments of her children.
Ms. Alvarado: Congratulated Jacob Haas on his Eagle award. Read Across America at Roosevelt and Washington.
Ms. Shellhart: Congratulated Jacob Haas on his Eagle Scout award. Read Across America at Washington and Roosevelt.Attended GHS PTSA meeting and discussed Wellness classroom. Board will be invited to visit. Attended Girls Soccer game. The girls demonstrated great sportsmanship.
Dr. Scott: Can we invite the Girls Soccer Team to be honored at a Board meeting? Mr. Symonds: "Already done."
11. CONSENT AGENDA NOTE: The Governing Board may take one (1) vote for all Consent Items including; Business Services, Educational Services, Human Resources and the Superintendent's Office. Items also may be removed from the Consent Agenda at the discretion of the Governing Board and voted on separately.
Unanimously approved in its entirety.
A. BUSINESS SERVICES
1. Approve Annual Membership Agreement with San Gabriel Valley Food Services Co-Operative Purchasing Group- School Year 2020-2021 San Gabriel Unified School District has been a member of the San Gabriel Cooperative Purchasing Group (Co-Op) with membership comprised of many local school districts in the region. Membership enables the District to pool purchasing power in order to purchase perishable and staple foods, supplies and USDA commodities at the lowest possible price, thereby benefiting the school community and District. To approve the District's continuous membership in the San Gabriel Valley Cooperative Purchasing Group (Co-op) for 2020-2021.
2. Approve Warrants Issued for Payments, Goods, And Services Received for February 2020 - Report No. 9 Administration recommends the approval of Warrants issued for Payments of Payroll, Goods, And Services Received for February 2020 - Report No. 9 and authorize the designee to execute the necessary documents.
3. Approve Purchase Orders Issued in Excess of $5,000 Report No. 12 Administration recommends the approval of Purchase Orders issued in excess of $5,000 Report No. 12
B. EDUCATIONAL SERVICES
1. Gabrielino High School Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) Attendance at the State Leadership Conference in Ontario, California, April 23-26, 2020 Administration recommends the approval and attendance of the Gabrielino High School Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) to the State Leadership Conference in Ontario, California. This conference will provide the GHS FBLA team with the opportunity to become effective leaders and provide a powerful learning experience for student achievement.
2. Approve Consultant Agreement with Atilio Pernisco for Art Classes at Coolidge Elementary School Administration recommends the approval of Atilio Pernisco to provide art classes at Coolidge Elementary School. Art classes have been shown to have many benefits for students. Art teacher Atilio Pernisco will provide art classes for students at Coolidge Elementary School through June 30, 2020.
3. Approve Essential Training Travel Report No. 13 Administration recommends that the following District employees be authorized to attend the events attached. Attached.
C. HUMAN RESOURCES
1. Approve Certificated Personnel Status Report No. 13 Administration recommends the approval of the Certificated Personnel Status Report No. 13. Four resignations' one retirement. Attached.
2. Approve Classified Personnel Status Report No. 13 Administration recommends to approve the Classified Personnel Status Report No. 13 Two resignations. Attached.
D. SUPERINTENDENT'S OFFICE
12. NEXT MEETING REMINDER(S)
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
Tuesday, April 21, 2020
Tuesday, May 12, 2020
Tuesday, May 26, 2020
Tuesday, June 23, 2020
Tuesday, June 30, 2020
13. ADJOURNMENT at 8:05 PM
We ARE stronger together!
Join us at the next Board Meeting!
March 24, 2020
6:00 Open Session, Closed Session, 7:00 Open Session Reconvenes
Keep wearing those shirts!!
Show we are unified!