Certificated Personnel Report
Classified Personnel Report (Highlights: New Site Tech at Roosevelt, Retirement of C. Main at GHS)
Conference Report (Highlights: CUE, CABE, DBL, and GHS Invitation to White House Natl.Tree Lighting!)
iReady Contract Renewal
Purchase Order Report (Highlights: GHS Roofing Project, JMS Parking Lot Project)
San Gabriel USD
November 13, 2018 6:00PM
1. OPENING PROCEDURE .
Meeting opened at 6:01. Quorum established.
2. Requests to Address Governing Board:
2.a. REQUESTS TO ADDRESS THE GOVERNING BOARD regarding Items on the CLOSED SESSION agenda:
Iraise Garcia, JMS. Thanked Dr. Scott and Dr. Pappalardo for coming to JMS to hear their concerns. Dr. Pappalardo promised during the session to email the Admin salary schedule on a 5 step schedule. Dr. Pappalardo indicated he is at Step 4. Noted that a PDF file would be provided to show the schedule was in operation before Dr. Pappalardo was re-hired by the district, but the PDF has not been received. Ms. Garcia noted that she is sure Dr. Pappalardo is very busy, but JMS awaits the promised schedule.
Ms. Garcia also took the opportunity to note appreciation for the superb Nov. 2nd staff development with teachers teaching teachers and thanked the Board for its continued support.
Board photograph taken by Dr. Scott before recessing to closed session.
3. Recess to Closed Session at 6:05.
4. Reconvene to Open Session at 7:02.
4.a. Announcement of actions taken in closed session. No action taken.
Agenda approved for November 13, 2018.
5. 5.Approval of Minutes for October 9th and 23rd, 2018. Moved , as amended for spelling, approved.
6.Public Hearing(s) None.
- Del Mar High School, Armando Talamantes: Covered updates and events for all district schools.
- Gabrielino High School, Thomas Chung: Absent for this meeting.
- Board President Alvardo: Our prayers and thoughts go out to victims of the fires. Meet and Greets completed at all school sites. People happy with our Nov. 2nd staff development.
Honoring Mr. Tcheng at his last Board Meeting
- President Alvarado speaks to history of Mr. Tcheng as member of the Board and his value to the district.
- Dr. Scott speaks to Mr. Tcheng's service, strength, civility, professionalism and thoughtfulness.
- Ms. Shellhart speaks to her appreciation of his mentorship.
- Mr. Ammon addresses Mr. Tcheng's friendship, insight, and advice when he first came on board.
- Dr, Pappalardo: Mr. Tcheng is probably one of the top 5 board members he has worked with. (Board laughter.) Expressed his appreciation for Mr. Tcheng's business advice and dedication to San Gabriel .
- President Alvarado presents a clock to Mr. Tcheng in appreciation for his service.
- Mr. Tcheng thanks everyone for the opportunity to serve. Thanks everyone serving our community and students.
Recess to Recognition reception for outgoing Board member, Ken K. Tcheng at 7:24.
Resume Open Session at 7:36.
- Superintendent Report: Happy Thanksgiving. We are off next week.
- MIE Presentation:Samantha Theisen. NOTE: See attachment for full presentation. Evaluation Data Report presented by Samantha Theisen. Began thanking the Board and Mr. Tcheng for his service. Thanks all Roosevelt as a community of open minded individuals. It's a whole school data report that happens to coincide with the MIE program.
- President Alvarado- in awe of the progress toward closing the achievement gap.
- Ms. Shellhart: positive comments from the community. Congratulations.
- Mr. Tcheng: recalled he was Board President when the MIE decision was made. Believed it was a game changer for us. Breaking news: tell how successful the program is.
- Dr. Scott: yields to Mr. Ammon
- Mr. Ammon: Current 3rd grade will have the program since Kindergarten. Thank you.
- Dr. Scott: Presentation on a report of an entire school population is benefitting, not on performance. Compliments Samantha on her commitment and willingness to start the program with focus on student motivation and climate. I am in awe of this district. Dr. Pappalardo inherited this program and I have to give props to Dr. Yoshihara for his commitment (even though he was crazy about some things.) I'm indebted to him for his support of the program which wouldn't have happened without him.
- Mr. Talamantes: addressed the parent report on student confidence. We are setting up the students to be successful. 91% of parents said students maintain a positive attitude about school. That's an incredible statement.
- Dr. Pappalardo thanks the Roosevelt community for the support of the program.
- Samantha Theisen thank Cheryl Wilson's support. It's a remarkable school.
- 8.a. ACTION - Approve Notice of Completion for Bid No. 01-18/19 with Janus Corporation for Building Demolition - Asbestos and Lead Removal: On August 21, 2018 the Governing Board awarded a contract to Janus Corporation in the amount of $134,000.00. There was one change order for $9,747.03, bringing the new total contract amount to $143,747.03. Approving the notice of completion will complete the contract with Janus Corporation and allow the District to make final payment. Moved for approval . Unanimously approved.
- 8.b. Authorization to Award Bid No. 02-18/19 Building Demolition - Asbestos & Lead Removal - Gabrielino High School Music Building: It is recommended that the Governing Board authorize the Superintendent or designee to execute the necessary documents to award Bid No. 02-18/19 Building Demolition - Asbestos & Lead Removal to Beckco Incorporated in the amount of $39,900.00
- Moved for approval .Comment/Question by Mr. Tcheng- can low bid adequately serve us? Joyce Yeh reported that they were vetted.Unanimously approved.
9. EDUCATIONAL SERVICES
9.a. ACTION - Approve Consultant Agreement with Dr. Cydney Fox for a Central Auditory Processing Evaluation of a Student, School Year 2018-2019: The Superintendent recommends the approval of this Consultant Agreement with Dr. Cydney Fox in an amount not to exceed $1,450.00 in order for the District to stay in compliance. Moved and approved unanimously.
9.b. ACTION – Approve The Consultant Agreement Between San Gabriel USD and Gina Koency for School Year 2018-2019: Gina Koency will offer Professional Development on December 4, 2018, as well as up to three more sessions, for our secondary math teachers on the CAASPP Interim Assessments and Digital Library. $500/day, not to exceed 5 days. Moved and approved unanimously.
9.c. ACTION - Approve Consultant Agreement with Dr. Megan Stone for SGUSD Special Education Program's Medicaid LEA/MAA Federal Reimbursement Program: Not to exceed $2,000. Moved and approved unanimously.
10. HUMAN RESOURCES. None.
11. SUPERINTENDENT'S OFFICE None.
12. GOVERNING BOARD
13. BOARD ANNOUNCEMENTS, REPORTS, AND/OR COMMUNICATIONS
- Ms. Shellhart: Congratulations on GHS participation in Natl. Tree Lighting.
- Mr. Tcheng: Thanks Board for support of AYC; "Kind of fun going through the meet and greets. (Board laughter.)
- Dr. Scott: Meet and Greets were interesting. School site concerns are very different. "Stroking" the Supt. for his support of going on the Meet and Greets. Sometimes we forget the realities on the ground, even though they are not necessarily informed, but your perception is your reality." We have so much to be proud of.
- Mr. Ammon: Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
14. CONSENT AGENDA
Approved in full.
14.a. CONSENT - BUSINESS SERVICES
14.a.1. Accept Donations to the San Gabriel Unified GATE Program: $225 to defray field trip bus costs.
14.a.2. Renew Annual Services Between the San Gabriel Unified School District and Super Co-Op A California USDA Foods Cooperative
14.a.3. Approve Warrants Issued for Payments of Payroll, Goods and Services Received For Oct. 2018 - Report No. 5
14.a.4. Approve Purchase Orders Issued in Excess of $5,000 Report No. 6: see attachment above.
14.a.5. Approve Essential Travel Report No. 6: see attachment above.
Consent agenda accepted and approved without discussion.
14.b. CONSENT - EDUCATIONAL SERVICES
Consent agenda accepted and approved without discussion.
14.b.1. Approve Continuation of 1-Year License Agreement with Curriculum Associates for i-Ready Diagnostic and Instruction Math and Reading K-8 Site License and Teacher Toolbox: Quote for$191,652.50. See attachment above.
14.b.2. Approve Appointment of Representatives to the Community Advisory Council of the West San Gabriel Valley Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA)
14.b.3. Approve Agreement with Direct Ed to Utilize Paraprofessionals, Special Education Department 2018-2019 School Year
14.b.4. Approve Essential Training Travel Report No.6; see attachment above.
14.c. CONSENT - HUMAN RESOURCES
14.c.1. Approve Certificated Personnel Status Report No. 6; see attachment above.
14.c.2. Approve Classified Personnel Status Report No.6; see attachment above.
14.d. CONSENT - SUPERINTENDENT'S OFFICE
15. ADJOURNMENT: Mr. Tcheng wishes everyone good luck. Rochelle- the seat is hot. I warmed it up for you. I'd like to see the district focus on the student. We may have differences despite fragmentation between Board, Admin, teachers. But we should work as one to achieve our goals for the students. Adjourned at 8:20
15.a. NEXT MEETING REMINDERS
NEXT MEETING REMINDERS
- Tuesday, December 11, 2018
Join us at the next Board Meeting!
- Tuesday, December 11, 2018
6:00 Open Session, Closed Session, 7:00 Open Session Reconvenes
San Gabriel Unifed School Board Agenda October 23, 2018
Keep wearing those shirts!!
Show we are unified!