Chanda and I will make sure you ALL will be informed of things going on.
Hello SGTA Members,
We are coming to that time of the year when tough decisions have to be made regarding the 2017-2018 budget and staffing at our school sites. In conversations with district administration, next year there will be 10% less LCAP money given to each school site.
I have been told that the reasons are as follows:
- LCAP money cannot be rolled over, as in the previous years
- only 75% of LCAP can be spent on personnel
- the school board has decided to make the Music Immersion program a priority
The district's Educational Advisory Committee met in January. This group was comprised of administrators, teachers, and school personnel. We spent a day discussing the needs of our unduplicated students (Foster, EL, and Low Socio Economic Students) and prioritizing the needs across the district. Please see the attached document to see the charted priorities.
What can you do to help to ensure that the LCAP money is being spent on our priorities:
- Engage in conversations with your principals about the LCAP budget and staffing
- Email your school board members about school budgets and encourage them to spend money on our priorities
- Attend the next school board meeting on Tuesday, February 28th at 6:00 p.m.
It would only be prudent if the district takes a stern look at the all of the site budgets and uses the input from the Educational Advisory Committee to make informed decisions.
Thank you for your time.